Never use Handyman Matters of Southeast Michigan ever! The owner Bret Alden is a bully and he and his employee Jeff are incredibly dishonest. It is my hope that anyone considering hiring them will find this post and think twice. Unfortunately when I googled them prior to hiring them I could find any complaints. Well here is a Handyman Matters of Southeast Michigan complaint.
I hired this company to to a remodel on my bathroom. I needed the pink tile removed from the shower surround, and walls to be replaced with a shower surround, and bead board respectively and the tile floor removed and replaced. The project was to take 4 days. Monday thru Thursday.
Immediately upon arriving Jeff said he would need five days, but the toilet would be in for Thursday. (This is my only bathroom, and with very small children a toilet is essential). Prior to the renovation beginning Bret Alden said the contractor would be out at 9am Monday. Well he got here at 10am because he had to run to the office to get paper work. Day one 5.75 hours of work completed. The next day again no show until 10am this time I was told because the contractor had an accident on his way. Another 5.75 hours of work completed. Becoming very concerned about the lack of progress. I asked when the toilet would be back in, as now only demo has been done. And this is a very small bathroom. I was assured a toilet by Thursday. I instructed the contractor to be in by 9 and give me an eight hour day on Wednesday. Of course as Wednesday appeared he was late again. This time 9:45, and no excuse. He also left early, apparently because his son was arrested. Another 5.75 hour day. Quite obviously the toilet will not be ready. I extend the kennel for pets. My husband calls Bret Alden to address the tardiness of his employee and he assures him it will be taken care of. Thursday again late, and no reason is given at all., except that it is hard to get here from where he lives. Now I am reasonable, if he can't be here by 9 fine, but put in a full 8 hours of work. No more leaving at 4:30. A six hour day is put in. And still no toilet. I am told that the toilet will be in by the end of the day Friday. Again extend the kennel and now the hotel as well. Friday, late again and still no reason. Friday, well by the end of the day the toilet is not in. My husband is in the house, and is told we need a new wax ring. As soon as that is obtained the toilet will take minutes to install. So he sends the contractor home after 6.25 hours, and says we will be home by 9am and the toilet is to be in first thing. Saturday morning and again he is late. Then as my preschooler proclaims she has to go the the bathroom there is a problem. After knocking on 3 neighbors doors before finding a place for her to go potty I return the THE LIE! According to the contractor the toilet was broken and patched by the installer with wax to hide it. Well guess what my husband and I installed the toilet OURSELVES. It was not broken. If it was we would have bought a new one, because neither of us would have known how to resolve that problem. Now I call Bret Alden inform him of the lying and say I want someone else in my house. He says he is out of town and can't do anything. I tell him I will not pay for the new toilet and he assures me if his guy broke it he will pay for it. BS! The day goes on and the contractor forgets to turn off the water and it sprays all over the cable modem in the basement causing me to loose phone and Internet for 1.5 days until the cable company can install a new modem. In discovering this my husband finds a huge dent in the chest freezer in our basement. We use the freezer regularly and it was not there before the contractor started work. How did he do it? I have no clue but I am furious. After 6.75 hours of work on Saturday the contractor Jeff leaves because his son was in an accident. He plans to return Monday at 9 am. Says he needs 4 hours to be done. Monday, no show. Bret Alden calls and says his employee has car trouble. And won't make it. I line up someone new to complete the work. My husband calls to fire Handyman Matters and Bret Alden says he will personally come on Tuesday to finish the job. LIE. Tuesday Jeff shows up at 10 again. This time he stays until 6 when the job is "finished." He has left debris all over the yard, and a lot of items are not right. Bret Alden comes on Wednesday to look over the project, he removes debris, and then checks out the bathroom. He says his employee didn't break the toilet, the caulk work is good enough, and his employee didn't damage the freezer. He is in my face and very harsh. He says he will send Jeff to fix what I don't like without charging additional time, because it wasn't to my satisfaction. I say send someone else because I don't want that contractor in my home anymore. He says no, and I tell him to leave. Thursday we receive a bill. And my husband asks to have paperwork sent over to review. Friday we receive the paperwork. We send him a letter listing complaints and damages, and a check to cover the work done less those damages. We receive a phone call this week disputing the damages and informing us he placed an UNAUTHORIZED CHARGE on our credit card for the full amount.
Never do business with this company, they are liars, and devoid of ethics.
No comments:
Post a Comment